Built at Yarrow, Scotstoun, and first commissioned on 15th March 1965, the anti-
C93 Dido Class Cruiser | 1939-
Apollo Class Cruiser | 1890 -
They were a modified version of the earlier Medea class. They carried a mixed armament entirely made up of quick firing guns, but these guns were badly arranged, producing ships with a reasonable broadside but limited firepower fore and aft. They were not very seaworthy, and were followed by a number of classes of larger, more seaworthy ships. At the start of the First World War a number of them saw limited active service, before spending most of the war as depot ships. A number of them came back into prominence in 1918 when they were used as block ships during the attempts to close the ports of Zeebrugge and Ostend.
Battle of Trafalgar (1805)
Naiad tows the Belleisle towards Gibraltar, 23 October 1805